Sustainability Action is the symbol of sustainability for NHSScotland
What is it and what is it for?
“Sustainability Action” is the new symbol of sustainability for NHSScotland.
It is an overarching ‘umbrella’ brand, to be used to support and promote staff behaviour change activities that contribute to delivering sustainability across all parts of the NHS: from public health, management, allied health professionals, pharmacy, science, the ambulance service, dental teams, doctors and our front line clinical staff to the wider healthcare team. The Sustainability Action ‘brand’ aims to:
- Explain what sustainability is and means through demonstrating and highlighting the sustainable actions that all NHSScotland staff can make
- Raise the profile and importance of sustainability within NHS Scotland
- Connect and contextualise all sustainability topics and actions
- Underpin all sustainability-related communications across NHSScotland
How will it be used?
The Sustainability Action brand has been developed to promote awareness of sustainability within the NHS in Scotland, and to demonstrate its importance for all of us. More specifically it can be used for sustainability-related change programmes focusing on targeted behaviours both within individual Boards and nationally.
It will therefore underpin a range of specific programmes of activity around topics such as:
- Waste and recycling
- Energy use
- Active travel
- Use of greenspace
- Community engagement etc.
These should be co-ordinated programmes to encourage staff to act sustainably. Promotional activities will help raise awareness of the importance of these actions, but will need to be supported ‘on the ground’ with other activities and success and best practice measured and shared.
All actions, whether big or small, can make a positive difference to our NHS, our people and our planet. Local action will contribute to global outcomes by helping NHSScotland to meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Who can use it?
Anyone within NHSScotland working on a sustainability-related topic or wanting to promote change can use this brand to promote their activities. That means anyone from any department or executive Board promoting a Board-wide programme, through to a small clinical team in a ward encouraging sustainable staff behaviours.
Is any help available?
Support is available to those promoting and managing these programmes to:
- Identify target topics
- Plan and design a behaviour change programme
- Understand how the brand can be used to support the programme
- Design and develop materials to help promote your programme
- A brand toolkit is also available to enable your Communications Team to help you with promotional activity.